Marriage Counseling and Addressing the Holidays
Marriage counseling can be helpful during the holidays if you have trouble around family. Marriage counseling aims to produce healthy conversation and facilitate changes to unhealthy patterns. During this time of year, many people become acutely aware of absence and what they do not have. Call Take Charge Inc. today if you can utilize marriage counseling this time of year.
Marriage counseling, also known as couples therapy or marriage therapy, is a form of psychotherapy that focuses on helping couples address and resolve issues within their relationship. It involves a trained therapist or counselor who works with the couple to explore and understand their challenges and develop strategies for improvement. Marriage counseling can be particularly beneficial during the holidays for several reasons:
- Increased Stress: The holiday season can add stress due to various factors such as family gatherings, financial pressures, and expectations. Marriage counseling provides a safe space to discuss these stressors and develop coping strategies as a couple.
- Communication Improvement: The holidays often involve increased communication with extended family, sometimes leading to misunderstandings or conflicts. Marriage counseling can help couples improve communication skills, express their needs and concerns more effectively, and work together to navigate family interactions.
- Conflict Resolution: The holidays may exacerbate existing conflicts or bring up unresolved issues. A marriage counselor can assist in identifying the root causes of disputes and guide the couple in finding constructive ways to resolve them. Learning conflict resolution skills is essential for maintaining a healthy relationship.
- Managing Expectations: The holidays are often associated with high expectations, and couples may have differing expectations about how to celebrate, spend money, or allocate time. Marriage counseling can help couples manage and align their expectations, fostering a more harmonious holiday experience.
- Quality Time: While the holidays are a time for togetherness, the added responsibilities and commitments can sometimes leave couples feeling disconnected. Marriage counseling can help couples prioritize and carve out quality time for each other, ensuring that the holiday season strengthens their relationship rather than straining it.
- Coping with Loss or Change: For some couples, the holidays may be a reminder of loss or significant life changes. Marriage counseling provides a supportive environment for couples to navigate these emotions together, helping them cope with grief, transitions, or changes in family dynamics.
- Building Resilience: The holiday season can be emotionally charged, and couples may face unexpected challenges. Marriage counseling can equip couples with tools and strategies to build resilience, allowing them to navigate the ups and downs of the holidays and emerge stronger as a couple.
- Setting Boundaries: Establishing boundaries is crucial, especially during busy times like the holidays. Marriage counseling can assist couples in setting healthy boundaries with family and friends, ensuring that both partners feel respected and their needs are considered.
Marriage counseling provides a structured and supportive environment for couples to explore challenges, improve communication, and work toward a healthier and more satisfying relationship. It’s important to note that seeking counseling is a proactive step that doesn’t necessarily indicate a relationship is in crisis but rather a commitment to its growth and well-being. It’s easy to get caught up thinking about everyone else during the holidays. But you’re important, too. If you can, try spending time with people who make you smile, laugh, and feel loved — whether that’s your family, friends, kids, partner, or someone else.
Terri Dichiser serves as a guide and facilitator, but the success of counseling largely depends on the commitment and effort of both individuals involved. Marriage counseling provides healing social support both from your partner and your counselor. If you are in Johnson County, KS, including Overland Park, Olathe, and Leawood, contact Take Charge Inc. today to schedule at (913) 239-8255.
Increase your emotional intelligence by signing up for the brief monthly eNews with Terri’s emotional intelligence tips and info.
FORM WILL GO HERE...