At the core of our deepest emotionsare the beliefs that drive them. You feel sad when you believe to have lost something, anger when you decide that an important goal is thwarted, and happy anticipation when you believe something good is coming your way. By changing your thoughts, you may not be able to change the situation, but you can at least change the way you believe the situation is affecting you. With individual counseling at Take Charge, Inc., Terri will work with you to identify your goals and help you reach your goals with positive, consistent care.
To regulate your emotions means that you need to be aware of them in the first place. Little things going wrong can make you feel angry, sad, frustrated, or even guilty. Figure out which emotion you’re experiencing. It’s only when you know what your emotion is that you can set about changing that emotion to a positive one.
With individual counseling, you can learn to use positive actions to help you manage your emotions. Examples of positive actions include:
· Exercise: this releases reward and pleasure chemicals in the brain such as dopamine, which makes you feel better. Being fit also makes you healthier, which helps in managing emotions.
· Be kind to others, because this helps stop you worrying about yourself.
· Be open and accept what is going on around you. This is linked to mindfulness, which is about being aware of what is going on in the moment.
It’s good to talk. Spend time with other people and enjoy their company.
· Don’t give in to negative thinking. If you find yourself having negative thoughts, then challenge them by looking for evidence against them.
· Spend time outside. Being in the fresh air, especially around nature, is very helpful for calming the emotions. There is evidence that we need to see horizons, so if you can go up a hill and look at the view then do.
· Be grateful. Thank people in person for doing nice things for you and remember it involves doing things that are good for you.
· Notice the good things in your life. In old-fashioned terms, count your blessings.
For more information about individual counseling at Take Charge, Inc., Overland Park, Kansas, Johnson County, Kansas, call (913) 239-8255.